December 19, 2011

2012 triathlon season game plan

This year 2 guys came out of no where and won just about every local triathlon in my age group of 35-39. Having seen them dominate so thoroughly I've realized next year I need to have my best season ever to be compete. They were so dominant that if you compared the 2 best races I've EVER had to what Marty & Brooks accomplished this year, those 2 great races of mine were about the equivalent to their average this season.

To try and compete with Marty & Brooks next year I've come up with a 5 part plan.
1) Most importantly I'll pray! God blesses those who keep Him 1st and foremost in their heart. Philippians 4:13- I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
2) I'm going to start doing more group rides with pure cyclists. If I can hang with roadies on the bike I can hang with anyone!
3) I'll be implementing more strength and core training to build more block busting speed!
4) I need to drop more weight. My goal weight for next season is 175 pounds.

In 2011 I had a good season. But honestly the only reason I've had decent races is because of my lower body weight. I've maintained 182 since June. 182 is 30-45 pounds less than my normal racing weight, this is the 1st time I've maintained 182 pounds since 1992 or 1993! I've probably said it a thousand times in my blog, "light is fast", but it wasn't until this year that I've been able to drop and maintain around my ideal race weight. I'm currently at 6.8% body fat. For me to drop another 7 pounds and get the kind of speed I'll be needing I'll have to get to 5% body fat, drop a little extra muscle from my upper body, and build a little more leg and core muscle.

I've decided to start my new diet regimen on the 1st day after Thanksgiving! That should give me plenty of time to drop the weight and build as much strength and speed as I can by my 1st A race in 2012. What that race may be, I have no idea. I've decided I wont race again until I'm able to replace my time trial bike that was totaled in September of this year.


No comments: