January 28, 2008

a question for you peeps

I was wondering if I could get your opinion on a couple questions I have on this whole weight loss thing. On the Weight Watchers system I'm eating about 1900 calories a day (38 food points). Plus for every 100 calories I burn I get to eat 50 of them. I've been averaging around 9500 calories burned a week through exercise (95 Activity Points or AP's). The WW system has me replace 4250 of those (exactly half of the calories burned). So far on WW I'm losing an average of 4-5 lbs a week. Right now I'm at 213. This is only the 3rd time since high school I've been below 215. As a matter of fact, the lightest I've ever been as an adult was 205 in 1999 when I got on a 6 month nothing but tuna diet. I'm already 16 lbs away from my ultimate goal of 199 (although I have to admit I'm starting to dream/wonder if my body could handle getting to 190). I've lost 43lbs since Nov 13th. Even though it's been great fun watching my weight drop so quickly I think I need to try & slow that to a 2 lb a week loss. Increasing the calories I replace from working out seems in my mind to be the best way of doing that. That way on the days I don't work out hard I won't be eating extra calories. What's your opinion? Should I attempt to slow the loss or enjoy being the incredible shrinking man? & if you do think I should slow it, what way do you think I should go about it? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

5 comments:

S. Baboo said...

My question is "Do you feel like you are dieting?" I mean, are you hungry or bored with what you are eating? If you are doing fine with what you are eating and not feeling weak or anything why not just let it ride and see where you get? As your weight drops it will slow and then it will stop even if you cintinue to eat exactly as you are now.

If you are feeling hungry or bored with your diet then maybe increasing your intake a little would be good so you don't get burned out on the diet and then rebound into unhealthy eating.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

dude - do what feels good. Stop when it doesn't feel right - as in, when you are bonking. Don't watch the numbers- you will learn more from listening to what happens on the inside. This kind of learning is more valuable for long term weight loss.

you're doing awesome - keep it up!

Anonymous said...

The technology of your body is that 85% of the time you wont lose more than your body needs to or is willing to lose unless you are going too far and are turning into an anorexic or something (you're not right? If you are, you must've forgotten from what family you hail... WE LOVE FOOD!)

Anyway, as long as you are feeling good, don't stress it.

You're a guy, and most of the time guys lose weight so much easier than women becuase you naturally carry more muscle mass, therefore you will metabolize calories so much faster.

I think you just have to play by the rules of the program for now and see what happens. You'll do fine, just don't overthink it.

JB-from-EPT-Age-grouper said...

Listen to your body, it will tell you. If you still have the stamina and strength for your workouts, then I think that you are doing fine. Remember, your body will eventually find its comfort zone and you will see (or atleast should see) significant difference in the amount of weight that you will loose per week. I think your doing fine, you havent really talked about being week or malnourished. Stay with it!

SWTrigal said...

I agree with jane. How do you feel training with losing so quickly? If you are hungry eat low glycemic index foods (google it). Just stay with the way you want to eat forever-no sugar, no wheat works for me..Congratulations by the way. Will we recognize you at your new studly weight?