September 24, 2021

Attempt #2 at the 1500 meter

 I made some mistakes when I gave up powerlifting and tried to start training for the 1500. I tried running every other day for thirty minutes, and cycling every other day for 30-60 minutes. After a little over two weeks my knees and ankles hurt so bad a had to quit. I begrudgingly went back to powerlifting. I wasn't happy about it. I was still burned out with powerlifting and I still really wanted to train and compete in the 1500 meter. After having gone back to powerlifting and contemplated on the things I did wrong I think I'm ready to give this another attempt. Last time I made the mistake of trying to run every other day for thirty minutes and I tried increasing my distance %10 every week. Those are solid plans. That's what I did back in 2006 when I decided to start training for triathlon. I weighed 292lbs back then. I ate well and trained hard every day. Made consistent increases in volume. I got faster and built more endurance. But it didn't work this time. Simply put, I'm 45 years old and close to 330lbs. My body can't handle what I did at 29 years old. I have to start out easier and build more gradually.  So my plan starting on Sunday is to walk briskly every other day for 30 minutes, bike every other day, and once a week jog for twenty minutes. Just once until I drop some weight, build some endurance, get rid of years and years of fast twitch muscle, and build some slow twitch muscle. There's something that is pulling me to the 1500. I can't explain it. I'm obsessed with it. I'm excited about this new adventure. 

No comments: