May 19, 2007

my first attept at blogging

Sat May 19th

Tomorrow I will compete in my favorite triathlon, the Buffman & Squeaky Olympic distance triathlon held in Lubbock Tx. Today I'm planning on a 1.5hr Z-1and z-2 bike then an easy day of packing and a 5-6hr drive from Santa Fe NM to Lubbock Tx made tolerable by the company of El Chivato a 16 year old fellow New Mexico Outlaw hitching a ride, my wife, and my 19 month old blond headed baby girl Bell. This will be Chivato's 2nd Oly distance tri. Last year he placed 1st place in the 19 year & under division @ the Las Vegas NM Oly at the young age of 15 with an admirable time of 4:30.My first year doing the Buffman & Squeaky was 2005. It was my 2nd race ever, I finished in 3:07 taking 3rd place Clydesdale which was pretty good considering I still weighed 260lbs. In 2006 I showed up 30lbs lighter and by that time I'd completed 3 Oly tri's. I finished 2:54 taking 3rd place again and setting an Oly PR (personal record), which is impressive because it's a very hilly and windy course. This year I come in with a 3 goals. Some of them doable, some a little lofty. But I can do the unthinkable, anyone in doubt of this can simply watch me at an all you can eat buffet in amazement! Now for my goals. Once they're on paper- er, screen, type? oh you know what I mean- Than it's the real deal. Right? Well here they are set in stone-type- whatever. This blogging is harder than it looks!

-1. I want to set a new Olympic distancePR. My old PR was 2:54. I think I should be able to pull this one off. I have no idea how I'll do time wise with my 1500 meter swim. I haven't practiced swimming in any way shape or form in over in over 14 months. The only swimming I've done has been at races! My running is at an all time best. I'm guessing a sub 54 min run. My 40 kilometer bike should be sufficient to hold on to a decent pace, but this is iffy because I've been putting in allot of slow base miles for the Silverman Iron distance triathlon in Nov. Ok, now that I see it in black and white -wait this is my first time blogging, I don't have any idea what color it'll be- I see that I have an unknown swim, an iffy bike and a good run. 1 out of 3....But I refuse to readjust my goals. Add heart and determination and that makes it 3 out of 6. OK...I shave my head, which makes me more aero dynamic! Thus the odds are now in my favor! See how a little optimism goes along way?

-2. I'd like to do better than third place clyd 39 & under. 2 years in a row I've taken 3rd. I give glory to God that I was able to accomplish that. But 1st or 2nd, Oh how glorious that would be!

3. I'd like to finish faster than 2:50. Now that is a lofty goal! Like I said before this race follows the same course as the Buffalo Springs 70.3 which is known as the most difficult half Iron in the world! This course has it all. Cold water(usually in the low 60's) hills, heat, a very windy bike- someone remind me, why in the world is this my favorite triathlon? Since 2004 there has only been 4 clydes to go sub 2:50. One of which is the Honorable Sportsman himself Arnold Ceniceros with a 2:46.

Well we're off to the races! I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

cfred said...

Don't forget your friendly family copetitors. You better get your butt in the pool and get your cycle legs crankin'!!!