October 16, 2007

Never to old to learn

Dang it, she was right again. You'd think after being W/ her for 7 years I'd of
gotten used to saying that. My wife is right more often than I like to admit.
The visit with my Grandfather went great.

He's 79 years old and has an advanced case Parkinson's disease. I'm glad my wife coerced me to do this. I'm not sure how long I would had to try to rebuild a relationship w/ him. Not to mention the fact that since I'm a parent it's not about me anymore. I need to be thinking of
my children. That is their Great-grandfather,their only one. My responsibility
as a father is to give my children every opportunity in life that I can, while
insuring their safety. I must say it is imperative I keep my children away
from my natural Father. But to be honest, it was a knee jerk over reaction to
distance myself from all the Hansons just because there is one bad apple in the
bunch. My natural Father is unsafe for children to be around because he has
paranoid schitofinia. His family is, & always has been good people. It's not their fault he's the way he is. It's really not even my Fathers fault he's dangerous to the people around him either. It took someone as loving as my wife to show me that. My Grandpa really had always been good to me. Every memory I have of him is of him being incredibly kind. It's interesting how when a child is hurt by someone, everyone they associate w/ that person they learn to avoid. I'm just glad I learned that after all these years he never stopped loving me unconditionally.

When we first showed up I thought perhaps his mind had deteriorated because he was not saying much, he just kept starring at me & my babies. But after about an
hour he started talking allot. Turns out he was just in a state of shock. He
didn't even know he had any Great-grandchildren. These are the only ones he has.
I sure am glad my wife & I went to visit him. My wife & I have made plans to
visit him again in Nov. That's when I plan on riding to Hobbs for Thanksgiving. I know I say
this allot, but life is sweet, and all the time just seems to get better.

Thanks for the messages Justin. I followed your advise about my eating. I realized it is what it is. I simply tried to minimize it as much as I could & not dwell on what I couldn't change.

Peace! I'm out!

No comments: