August 16, 2009

My best workout of 2009!!!

Today I ran 13.1 miles with one of my best buddies who's blogger name is JusMe. This was the single best workout I've had all year, as a matter of a fact it was the best workout I've had since last summer!!!!

JusMe rode on his bike next to me carrying all my water bottles & gels as I ran. Every so often I'd put my hand out & say "bottle", or "gel", he'd hand it to me, I'd take a swig or pop a gel, hand the bottle or empty gel pack back to him & continued running, never breaking stride.

I ran great today! The first 5 miles was zone 2. Miles 6-8 was zone 3. Miles 9-10 high zone 4. Last 3 miles C/D in zone 2. I finished the 13.1 mile run in 2 hrs 15 minutes. Considering only 5 miles of the 13 was higher than an Airborne shuffle, I believe that if I ran all out today I could have absolutely shattered my half marathon PR. I ran today having pushed myself hard the last few weeks. No rest or recovery at all. I was slightly fatigued, but still ran like a carnivorous gazelle!!! I'd say today bodes well for my upcoming Half Iron in Sept!

I'm excited about the Redman Half next month. I'm planning on breaking my 70.3 PR & qualifying for the 2010 Halfmax national Championships. Keeping in line with Courtney B. & Marks M.'s Facebook posts, "Do or do not, there is no try".
Yoda

5 comments:

Unknown said...

WoooHooo!!!! Im famous!!!!!

Glenn said...

what heart rates are you using for your zones and how did you calculate them? how are your morning heart rates doing?

nice blog -- good luck!

sister on the go said...

Having a workout partner is awesome. I don't want to work my way up to clydesdale territory. I will start doing and not try doing.

Podium quest said...

Hey Gle,
Thanks for the comment. To find your training zones for the run: warm up well, a 15 minute easy jog should be sufficient. Then do a 30 minute time trial (TT) meaning run ALL OUT for 30 minutes. At the 10 minute mark start your heart rate moniter. Your average heart rate for last 20 minutes of your all out run or TT is your lactate threshold.
To find your LT for the bike: Warm up with easy spinning for 20 minutes. At the end of the warm up do 4X90 seconds of increased effort to get your heart rate elevated. Then do a TT (all out) on a flat course. At the 10 minute mark of your TT start your heart rate monitor. The average heart rate of the last 20 minutes of your TT is your lactate threshold.
An athlete should base his training zones on thier LT because the LT zones change as fitness increases or decreases. Test your LT to adjust your zones as your fitness changes. Hope that helps. Peace!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Good luck at Redman! I was hoping to see you there, but because of the job layoff we'll be doing the full in 2010 instead.