June 30, 2010

Ultra endurance trail running

I've always enjoyed training & racing for short course triathlons. I've found that the longer the race I'm competing in, the slower I am compared to everyone else. Since 2003 I wanted more than anything in the world to be an Ironman, but truth be told, I hated training for Ironman triathlons. I still have nightmares of having to do bricks consisting of 100 mile bike rides followed by a tune up run. Then the next day doing 2-3 hour runs. Uhg! That was no fun for me at all! Yet I trained for Iron distance races for 5 straight years before I finally accomplished my Iron dream.

Now that it's over I'm training exclusively for sprint distance triathlons & am having the time of my life!!! So with that in mind, why in the world have I started dreaming of something that is even harder than racing an Ironman? I've awakened a desire I very well may regret! After my 9 mile trail run in the Sangre De Cristo mountains I decided I'd like to attempt an ultra endurance trail run. No time soon mind you, 1st & foremost I have to accomplish my current goal of finishing in the top %3 of a USAT sanctioned sprint triathlon, but I would like to give it a shot. My cousin Greg is planning to do a 50 miler soon. Yup, that's right, I said 50 MILER! That's the mid distance. The big dream of endurance runners is the 100 miler. No, don't worry, I have no desire what-so-ever to do a 100 miler. But a 50K or 50 miler does sound appealing- unfortunately.

For those who are new to such things as ultra endurance trail running, if a person finishes a race of that distance they get a finishers belt buckle. I proudly have my Ironman Arizona finishers medal hung on my bedroom wall for all who visit my house to see. But a finishers belt buckle I could have with me anytime I'm in public & am dressed, which is all the time- thus the appeal of the belt buckle. Why the appeal of a 50K or 50 miler, I have no idea. But I know me, & once I have some crazy dream or goal in mind I always follow it through. I'm thinking the one I'd like to try eventually is the Palo Duro trail run. I'll let you know when I decide to shoot for my new dream, until then I'll be having a blast training & racing the sprints.

Thanks for tuning in!

1 comment:

Big Clyde said...

Sounds like you are hooked. Enjoy the training, Cody!