September 27, 2007

Flirting w/ the Ironman cut off time

I felt great on today's 3hr 15min run. I got some stomach cramps at the 2hr 15 min mark that lasted 15 minutes. After that I started running again very well. I feel fresh now that I've finished. I took the time to calculate the times of my training rides/runs for the first time today. I realized I'm barely making the Ironman time minimums on my training days. Although I feel good at the end my long days I'm just plain slow. I'm worried I'll not make the cut off times. I have been averaging 13 miles an hour on my 6 hr long bike days which has around 9,000 feet elevation gained and lost. My long runs are around 3 hrs 15 minutes and I am covering around 15.5 miles. That's a 12:42 ave. I don't know the elevation on those training runs. On one hand I feel better after completing these distances than I ever have before. But it just boils down to me being dang slow.

5 comments:

Duane said...

Well you will have an extra shot of adrenalin that days and you WILL Make the cutoff times!

S. Baboo said...

You will make it but if it helps any the final finisher last year was 18:01 and there were a total of 9 finishers past 17.

Still, like I said, you will make it.

Anonymous said...

If you are like most people, including myself, you'll almost always go faster on race day than during training. Just make sure to keep hydrated and keep fuel in your body.

Paul

The (IRON) Clyde said...

Boy this is going to seem like a silly post when you finish at the 15 hour mark.

skoshi said...

Hey smilin' Cody,
Just checking in to see how you're doing, and how the training is going. Always rootin' for you. The cut off time should be a cinch :)