September 03, 2009

my family in training


My daughter who will turn 4 later this month has really been getting the hang of riding her bike. Today I took her to ride in Santa Fe on a bike/run trail that follows the NM Rail Runner. She thought this was the neatest thing. I in turn was amazed that she rode almost 2 miles!!! Wow. That's a LONG ride for a 3 year old. I'm a VERY proud Daddy today.

As we were driving home I told her how proud I was & that she did absolutely AMAZING! Aparently this went straight to her head because she told me "I'm ready to race you Daddy. I'll beat you too."

Tomorrow I'm going to take her & our 2 bikes to the New Mexico Corrections Academy track where she & I will have our first race. I'm sure I'll look back at tomorrow fondly the rest of my life. I'm also pretty sure her statement that she can beat me in a bike race will come true, sooner than I'd like to imagine. Early teenage years perhaps? Earlier knowing her. My daughter truly is a natural athlete. She is leaps & bounds ahead of most kids (including the boys!) her age in all things needing any athleticism.

My son who just turned 2 is more like me. Athletics don't come naturally to him, but he has a determination level that's astounding to see. Sometimes when I'm at the house working out my kids will attempt to do what I am doing. Anything from crunches to lunges. My daughter has always been able to mimic whatever it is I'm doing quickly & with very little direction, then pump out reps using perfect form without much thought or effort. My son doesn't pick up the form nor is he able to do the exercises as easily as she did at the same age. But he'll stay trying to master it long after my daughter (who is 2 years his elder) has grown bored & wondered off.

Last week my son continued to do walking lunges up & down the house with me until he hit muscle failure. Unwilling to stop in-spite of hitting the wall he looked around for a solution. I then watched in amazement & pride as he walked over to the couch & continued doing lunges using his hands on the couch to help lift his fatigued little body, getting in those extra repetitions. I do love fatherhood. It is so rewarding to watch each of them develop their own little personalities & strengths.

My training for the Sept 19th Halfmax National Championships is going almost as well as my children's training;) I'm fluctuating between 202- 205 pounds which is a fast & powerful weight range for me. I'm now down to 17 days until race day. My nutrition is on the money & my taper is going GREAT! I'm mentally & physically prepared & motivated for for this race.

The Halfmax will be my 6th Half Iron distance triathlon in the last 4 years. I think I have it within my grasp to beat my personal best Half Iron time of 5hrs 36 minutes & change. Stay tuned to see how things go!

Thanks for reading.

7 comments:

mediumtriguy said...

Cody - sounds like you have some great kids. Enjoy these days while you can, they'll soon be faster.

Good luck at the race. I'll be following!

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog. Congrats on where God has brought you from and God's best for the upcoming races ! Look forward to the updates. Zane

Glenn said...

Thank you for all the help you give! How do you replenish your electrolytes without adding a lot of calories while you are exercising?

How do the weigh-ins work? If you are shy of weight -- and it looks like you might be there, will you drink extra water or put on different clothes, or just race non-Clydesdale?

I have my first tri as a Clydesdale coming up in 10 days, but they have a higher weight (225#) and while I was way over that before (240#), naked I am about 206-210# now.

Glenn said...

By the way, I registered for the Ironman 70.3 Steelhead in Michigan for next year. Thank you for all your encouragement!

Podium quest said...

Hey Glenn, I'm so excited to hear about your Steelhead race! Make sure to keep me informed on your progress.

You REALLY should read the Paleo diet for athletes. It will explain everything about nutrition for endurance athletes & replenishing nutrients/electrolytes. Very awsome read.

I'm planning on maintaining 200 lbs for the Halfmax race, after that I'm wanting to try to drop down to 180-190 depending on how I feel.

Thanks for the comment Glenn. Ask any tri related questions u want. I love talking tri. What I don't know I'll do my best to find out.

Smitty said...

Hey.. See you at the HALFMAX! Good luck... and rip it up! Smitty

Smitty said...

Hey.. See you at the HALFMAX! Good luck... and rip it up! Smitty