July 15, 2010

The Silverman Half Iron & my 2 biggest weaknesses

In 2006 I attempted my 1st Ironman distance triathlon at the Silverman. I didn't make the final bike time cut off. I was pulled from the course at mile 92 of the 112 mile course. DNF. Did Not Finish. Those 3 words still haunt me. Out of almost 70 multisport races the Silverman is still my only DNF. Last year I registered for the Silverman half & was going to get revenge on that course. My wife & I ended up pregnant unexpectedly & a few weeks before the Silverman she had a C section, so I ended up not being able to get my revenge race.

Early this spring I had emailed the Silverman race director and told him of the bad things that had happened to me with this race & asked if he would roll my registration over to this year so I could get revenge. I never heard back from him so I assumed that was a no. Yesterday I received an email from the Silverman and they told me they are giving me a free slot to the Silverman Half, so it looks like I will be able to exact revenge from that course after all! (thanks Silverman RD! Just another example of God working miracles in my life!)

Now that I'm registered for the Silverman it brings to light my 2 biggest problems as an athlete.

#1) I've always been a much bigger athlete than all the people I usually race against. On flat to semi-flat courses I am able to finish with & often in front of those skinny guys. But on hilly courses my weight is a major issue! My weight is my biggest problem, which makes me suck at hills. I REALLY suck at hills, which is why I DNF'd the Silverman in 2006. But then again I tried to race it at 246 pounds!

My #2 biggest problem is lack of focus. I have big time problems staying focused. I've always been great at rarely missing training days. My type of problem with focus has to do with me setting a great goal, one that makes perfect sense, & then in no time I end up changing goals. That's the biggest reason I miss having a coach. I'd have a 2 hour zone 2 bike workout planned, & I'd ask my coach if I could ride from my house to Albuquerque via Highway 14, a 5 to 5.5 hour bike ride. My old coach Pete Alfino would get pissed off, tell me NO, & then tell me I needed to stay focused & stick to the plan! Great advise, which I need to hear more frequently. I'm constantly finding new & exciting goals before I accomplish the old one. Sometimes it means I'm switching A races mid training season, sometimes it means I get over zealous about a training day & do WAY more than I was scheduled. My lack of focus right now is making me constantly change my goal weight. Every week or two I change what my goal weight is, when I need to get there, how I'm going to do it, etc.

I'm very good at justifying my actions. 2 days ago my goal was to get to 188 pounds and maintain there until November. I got to 188 pounds yesterday, & I've already decided I'm going to switch my goal weight. Yes, I have a very good reason, I always do. My reasoning now is that I'll be competing at the Silverman half Iron, which is an incredibly mountainous course, & the only way I can do well on a course with that much climbing is if I get down to 175 pounds.... Yup, that's my new goal, to get to 175 pounds by November 1st. I'm 6 foot and have a big frame- a HUGE frame compared to other triathletes. I know 175 is probably to low for my body type. So rather than trying to get there blindly & risk ruining my race & possibly my health I'm going to get my body fat & power to weight ratio tested at the UNM physiology lab every 4 weeks. The minute I see my power to weight ratio go down I'll try & maintain the weight I am then. See how I switched my goal, am making a bad decision, & am justifying it very well?

If any of you out there are reading this & are willing, perhaps you can help keep me focused. I always post everything about my training & racing both good & bad on my blog. If you see me change my goal weight again, get on my case like you were my great, yet former coach Pete Alfino. Please help keep me focused. I need to learn to stay focused!

No comments: