June 16, 2007

Bad race performances and great team mates

The gallup triathlon was a great triathlon, especially considering it was a first year race. If you include the people who raced on a team 143 triathletes raced. 4 of those were clydes.

I finished the 375 yard swim in 7:11.

Got on the bike and at the 1 mile mark got a flat on the rear tire. I had 2 flats a couple races ago with this same wheel so I new there was a problem with the Wheel, not the tube or tire. I had one spare tube in my emergency kit but knew if I out it on I'd have another flat right away. So I got off the bike and ran back to T-1, got my keys, hauled my bike to the van and put the tire i train with on my bike. As soon as i got the new wheel on I took off trying to make up for lost time. But alas, to no avail. The course was VERY hilly. On my training wheels I use an old heavy wheel with Gator skins, a puncture resistant tube, slime, and Buntager Hard Case tires. Hard Case tires are INDESTRUCTIBLE, but VERY heavy. The tires and all the other tire proofing I put on make it so I never have flats on my training days. I found out it also makes for a very long, slow bike race. I'm a poor hill climber as it is, but everyone was passing me like I was standing still today. I was very glad to see T-2. I completed the 12.4 mile bike in around 58 minutes. Ouch. I know, slow as all get out. But I pushed myself hard the entire bike, refusing to quite, refusing to slow down even though I knew all 3 Clydes were way in front of me and getting farther.

The run was surprisingly hilly. This run had more elevation gained and lost per mile than I believe Buffalo Springs 70.3 does. I came into this race knowing I was overtraining slightly. My resting HR was 6 beats per minute faster than usual. I'd been having a hard time keeping my HR in the appropriate zones while training, and I'd been sleeping poorly. Consequently my run was Horrid! I was giving it my best effort, but I just couldn't get my speed. Run time: 3.1 mile run in 29 minutes. Total 1hr 32 minutes. End result, 35th out of 130 or so. 4th place Clyd out of 4:(

I give no excuses here. Bike maintenance is an important part of racing. Should have checked my wheel better after 2 flats in the same race on the same wheel. I should of known to increase my time running stairs more gradually because stairs are strenuous on the body. Every bad thing that happened today was my doing. But I learned allot and it was great hanging out with all my team mates after the race. I took leave from work to do this race. And a bad day racing with friends is better than a great day in prison I always say:)

6 comments:

SWTrigal said...

Cody-i thought your time was amazing given the fact that you went back to your car!! hang in there...hartley found out the tape that goes over the holes on his wheels wasn't put on properly so was causing flat after flat. I am no bike genius but may be the problem? I like to tell myself in these situations-"It's ONLY a triathlon!" Hope to see you in Lubbock!

Bigun said...

I'm sure your flat woes effected your run a bit - it's cool that you just stuck it out! Better luck next time flat-wise, and just keep trainig hard - I doubt this was an "A" race, so if you are overtrained a bit, so be it. Just be ready on A-race day.

Duane said...

Good job! Sounds like a tough course! And you're right about the bad day racing . .

S. Baboo said...

Way to hang in there Cody! And, as always, even a bad day racing with Cody is better than a good day racing without!

Unknown said...

Hey - I think I met you waiting in line for the swim (I was #70).

You did great, especially given the flat that required changing your wheel back at your car (!!).

I see you are a fellow Christian. James 1:2-4. I keep that one in mind when things seem to go wrong. :)

Anonymous said...

Cody, I'm happy you are being so optimistic. Every race can't be a 10 and the ones that are not will make the ones that are even sweeter. As with everything in life, when things don't go as planned, there is always some good that comes out of it and you always learn something!
You are my inspiration to start doing
tri's. whens next one?
Tricia Hoyt