June 08, 2007

Tips on time management

Triathlon is more than a hobby to me. It is my one true selfish passion. Anyone who has trained for a triathlon of any distance knows what a challenge training efficiently, yet effectively can be. Triathlon takes up more than it’s fair share of that precious commodity called “time”. For me, the most challenging aspect of this sport is finding the time to train with my busy schedule. I’m relatively new to triathlon, but have been fortunate enough to have some great mentors and teachers who have taught me many great things. Everything from training techniques to diet, but the most important was time management skills. I would like to take this time to share some of the best time management techniques that I have learned.

1. The most affective of these being indoor training. From treadmills to stationary bikes. Properly integrated into your training program these workouts can actually provide more effective training overall. Don’t get me wrong; if at all possible the majority of your training should be outdoors. But mixing in some indoor training can help you manage your time better and make your training more efficient. Indoor training allows us to control our conditions such as bad weather or the dark. Indoor training can also increase the amount of time spent with your family. My first year of training for triathlons, I was convinced that training and spending time with family were conflicting goals. It doesn’t have to be. Plus I’d like to think that spending so much time working out in front of my daughter is setting a good example and perhaps helping her build life long healthy habits.

2. Training at lunch time. Most people have 45 minutes to an hour available at lunch. This can be a great asset. If you workout at lunch a person can usually complete 20-25% of their weekly training volume. Since it’s still early your energy is usually still high. This can also be a good stress reducer.

3. Early morning workouts. This can be one of the hardest of my time management tips to adhere to. For me, on the mornings I procrastinate and plan on doing my workout in the evening, something goes wrong. I have company stop by, work calls and needs me to come in, or some such unforeseeable calamity arises. The most certain way to make sure it gets done is to do it early. I have to be at work at 5:45 in the morning. But I am still out there running sometimes as early as 3am. So you 8-4 people cannot complain to loudly. This is especially true for the weekends, when most people do their long days. The best strategy is to get it done early so you are clear for anything that may come up. It is also nice for your family. If they know by mid to late morning you’ll be done and they can have your attention the rest of the day they’ll be much more supportive. The longer you wait the less likely it is to get done!

4. Set up your clothes and equipment the night before. You will be more efficient in the morning and won’t waste time looking for the things you will need. If your obsessive like I am, make a list with 4 categories: swim, bike, run, and weights. Under each have the equipment you’ll need for each event you’re scheduled for that next morning. Once my daughter was born it was more of a challenge to get things in order and organized to be able to workout than it was to actually workout.

5. Schedule training sessions and races in a day planner. Write your workouts into your planner ahead of time. By doing this you’ll always allow for sufficient time for workouts. I even like to post my training and events on the refrigerator so that my family knows what to expect for that week.

6. Make multiple copies of your training plan. I make 4 copies of mine. I put one on the refrigerator, one in my gym bag, one in my vehicle, and one in my wife’s vehicle. That way no matter where I’m at I won’t be stuck trying to remember what I’m scheduled for on any given day.

7. Put your swim workouts in a 1-gallon clear zip lock bag. That way you can refer to your workout while swimming without having to worry about the paper becoming ineligible.

8. Share goals and desires with your family and loved ones. I talked to my family many months in advance before taking on an “Iron Distance” goal. This helps them be prepared for the many hours of training that will come to fruition. Also if you word it correctly they will feel involved and they will feel this is something they are helping you achieve. Make sure to tell them before and after the race that you could not have done this without them. That way they’ll feel a part of what you have accomplished.

9. Sharing parenting responsibilities and household chores, I am home with my daughter Mon.- Wed. And if for some reason I’m unable to do my workout before my wife gets home from work I make sure the house and yard is clean when she gets home. That way when I leave for my workout she doesn’t feel like I’m dumping the housework on her and avoiding my responsibilities to the family. Plus when there is no work to do when she gets home she usually enjoys some special time with our daughter while I train. Hey, if your significant other reads this they might push you to start training in hopes of you getting the housework done!

10. Involve your children. There are many companies that make 1,2, and 3 children strollers that you can push while running or pull behind your bike. They are made very safe and reliable now. You can also take your children to the track with you. They can play in the long jump pit, bring some toys to play with in the grass located in the middle of the track. Once they get a little older they can even do a little track running too. Make a game of it. When going to the pool take one of your children’s friends along to keep them company.

11. Combine races with vacations. Oh Ya! This one I learned early on! If there’s a race that is to far away to justify going to, do a little investigating before you bring it up. Find some events, activities, or sights that will interest your significant other and the children. That’s right, the old hook line and sinker.

12. Commute on your bike. You'll be creating a good base fitness, getting some of your bike training done while saving $ on gas, oil changes, and vehicle maintnance!

The next three aren’t as much time management tools. But they will help balance triathlon and family.

1. Controlling your moods. I have to make a definite effort at this. I can, at times feel a little worn down and a little grumpy after hard sessions or long days. My family has helped eminsly in this category. Tell them why it may happen on occasion. When my loved ones know in advance what is coming, they are much more understanding.

2.Eat nutrient dense foods and get plenty of sleep. This will help you from getting to grumpy, poor diet can lead to poor results from your training & can also cause overtraining syndrone. Sometimes my wife knows before I do when I’m overtrainning. She has gotten good at recognizing changes in attitude, and she is not afraid of letting me know:)

3. Stay flexible mentally. This is the hardest one for me. I’m trying to learn to be flexible when things don’t workout. As I’ve said before I’m a little obsessive compulsive. When something pops up that interferes with a workout I’m learning (ongoing!) to tell others and myself that it’s ok. In the long run this one workout doesn’t matter. I hope these tips help. And I promise that these, just like all skills, when practiced become easier with experience. God bless and happy training

2 comments:

Crash said...

great post - reccomend you check out zbuck's blog...another "big dude"

Anonymous said...

You're a pretty big guy, putting in a ton of mileage aerobically. The only reasons that you have any fat stores left at all would be: the body adapts to exercise (so you'd have to run even more or even harder--forever) or that you don't maximize the muscle. If you include a minimal amount of, say, a powerlifting circuit routine (one set of the big three lifts) it would probably wittle you down to marble and improve your race times as well. Just a friendly suggestion for you to consider. You're obviously doing a great job as it is. Keep it up and good luck in your races.