February 17, 2008

back again & an Xterra


Last week I had to drive to Lubbock TX to visit my Aunt who had an aneurysm removed from her brain. I was there for 3 days & during that time I shoveled everything I could into my mouth. I was raiding the vending machines, & leaving any restaurants I visited in an emergency shortage situation. By the time I left Lubbock I was weighing in at 220.

The day after I returned from Lubbock I got back on the diet wagon. I've lost 6 of the 10 lbs. gained. I'm not going to beat myself up over the gain because it's been my MO that at the times I'd gained a little weight I'd say screw it & stop watching my diet at all. That didn't happen this time.
The day I returned I was dedicated again. That's good news in my mind. I consider this progress.

I've always wanted to do an Xterra triathlon. I've been in good enough shape to complete one for at least 3 years. What has stopped me is that my MTB is a 1994 rigid frame Raleigh mountain bike that is too large for me. I figure if I was going to do an Xterra I'd do it right or not at all. I've been saving & praying for a new or used MTB with shocks for about 6 months. Since my wife has become a stay at home Mom funds have been short, so in 6 months I've saved a whopping $160. While in annual training for work this last week someone who knows me as a triathlete asked if I was ever planning on trying my hand at an Xterra. When I told him of my plans he smiled & walked away. I didn't think much of his odd behavior because we correctional officers are an odd bunch in general. The next day he showed up with a MTB with front shocks, & he gave it to me. It was a bike he had won from a sweep stakes held by Bullet Bourbon. There was only one given out per state, he won it & gave it to me. It is light, fast, in mint condition & has less than 4 miles on it. God is so good to me. Its amazing to me how he answers prayers even when it is something as frivolous as whether or not I have top of the line equipment for an off road triathlon. Life is good when Gods on my side.

6 comments:

skoshi said...

Getting back on the wagon like that--that is progress! Very sorry to read about your aunt, and hope she is getting better. Seeing someone ill and in the hospital is very difficult.

Congratulations on the gift of a new bike. That's a special guy you work with. Xterra? Sounds like something new, fun and challenging to look forward to :)

Duane said...

Very, very cool!

Chris said...

Sweet Cody! What an awesome gift. A Ture friend indeed! God does provide for us, even when it's "stuff" we want. It's going to be caool watching what unfolds for you with this new gift.

I've been curious about some of hte Xterrea races as well but there is really only 1 race that's somewhat local to me in Uwharrie NC.

Best of luck on the new journey!

S. Baboo said...

sweet! what x-terra are you looking at?

SWTrigal said...

Good for you for turning the eating thing around. Don't you have to get dirty to do an x-terra? They always look muddy in the magazines..
:)

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

is that a pink bike? 'cos pink bikes are the best!

well done - you are looking very different these days!