February 05, 2008

Simple things amuse me

I comute to work on a 1994 Raliegh mountain bike. I'd been riding on the same pair mountain bike knobby type of tires now for 2.5 years. The tires were weather rotted, cracked & even worn down to the wire mesh in a few areas. But I can be frugal so I stead fast refused to replace the tires until they actually blew or would np longer hold air. The rear tire blew yesterday so I got a new tire at the local bike shop, but only one because I won't replace the other one until it dies on it's own. The new one is a slick, also called a road tire. On the way to work I was SO much faster due to the new slick tire! I was so impressed by how much faster I'd gotten to work using the same effort I told work I was going to be 30 minutes late. I spent that time riding back & forth to work 2 times(yes, I live very close to work). LOL. I'm very easily amused. My wife calls me a nerd. I won't tell her so, but I know she's right.

I found out something interesting today while riding home in 2 inches of snow & ice. Slicks suck! I busted my butt. I had no idea how much more unstable a slick is than a knobby in snow & ice until today. I know now, and I've got a bruised ego to help me remember. Because, of course I fell in front of the entire shift of my fellow co-workers right there in the parking lot. I was getting whistles, laughs, & honks from vehicles, all to let me know that my incident was seen & apreciated. Oh, the life & times of a triathlete.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be laughing all evening! Ha! Cody fell off the bike again! Ha!

SgtBeesWife said...

Still laughing out loud! Ha!

JB-from-EPT-Age-grouper said...

Great story! Love it...only because I can relate, I fell during a training ride, right in front of a grade school!

skoshi said...

I'm glad you have nothing more than a bruised butt (and bruised ego) instead of a something worse.

Very funny.

I don't think slicks mix very well with "snow and ice" unless you're trying to ski...

Chris said...

Doh! ;-)

You should have known that the "law of bicycle falls" dictates that when you fall you will be in one of three places

1) The most populated part of town, during on the most heavily travelled road on your route
2) In front of 90% of your friends.
3) where no on e can help you and you have to walk.

Glad you're ok man! (snicker, snicker)

Chris