December 02, 2009

my 1st 2 races of the season, a new AG, & illness

There's only been 2 other times I've been more exited about racing than I am for this weekends races. This weekend I will be competing in the first 2 races of the 2010 triathlon/duathlon season. The Polar Bear triathlon in White Sands Missile Range NM  on Saterday & the Jingle Bell triathlon in Rio Rancho NM on Sunday. Yup, you read that correctly, they will be on back to back mornings. I've never raced on back to back mornings before, that in of itself is exciting & will be a great challenge.


This will be my first year competing in the hardest age group, the 35-39 AG. I'm hoping to place top 3 in the South West in that division. Competing in the South West Challenge Series 35-39 AG will be the toughest multisport goal I've atempted to date, & it all starts this weekend, with these 2 races. To say I'm pumped up would be a vast understatement.

I started training exclusively for this weekend back in Sept after I completed the Redman half Iron distance triathlon. The training for this weekend has been completely different from the training I have done in years past. All of my training has been shorter distances doing a lot of intervals on hills & speed work.

My training up until a week ago was doing great. I was building a lot of streangth & explosiveness. Last week my entire family, myself included got the flue. Last night was the worst of it. I'm feeling much better today & am hoping that I can heal up quickly. If I'm not well this weekend....tough. I'll still go out & push my limits in both races. I can't control the conditions in which I race, the one thing I can control is wheather or not I allow the conditions to affect me. Regardless how I feel, I will push myself as hard as I am capable of. I 'm looking foreward to this weekends racing & the opertunity to test my limits.

This weekends triathlons will be my 54th & 55th multisport races since I completed my first one Sept 1st 2004.

My current weight is 212. I'm hoping to be at or close to 200 pounds by April.

Wish me luck! & thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Big Clyde said...

Amazing challenge ahead for you, Cody, but God is doing something cool in you. I'll pray for you and hope you have an awesome weekend!

Big Clyde