April 11, 2010

The parable of the talents

The church sermon I listened to this morning at the New Covenant church in Albuquerque New Mexico hit me hard. It was about Matthew's 25 14-30, the parable of the talents.

I knew in essence what this parable was about, but I learned so much more & would like to share with you what I feel God meant for me to learn & to apply in my triathlon training & racing.


14"Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his property to them. 15To one he gave five talents of money, to another two talents, and to another one talent, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. 16The man who had received the five talents went at once and put his money to work and gained five more. 17So also, the one with the two talents gained two more. 18But the man who had received the one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master's money.

 19"After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. 20The man who had received the five talents brought the other five. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with five talents. See, I have gained five more.'

 21"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'

 22"The man with the two talents also came. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with two talents; see, I have gained two more.'

 23"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'

 24"Then the man who had received the one talent came. 'Master,' he said, 'I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25So I was afraid and went out and hid your talent in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.'

 26"His master replied, 'You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.

 28" 'Take the talent from him and give it to the one who has the ten talents. 29For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. 30And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

This is what I learned today & how I believe it was meant to be applied in my life. The majority of what I am writing from here on is by memory of the church sermon this morning & my own interpretation of what I remember and am reading. If there is any biblical misinterpretations please know it is my fault, not that of God, the particular version of bible I am reading, or my pastor.

'

-the master who departed in this parable is Jesus. When He departed he left each person (his followers, including you & I) with money (or talents) according to their abilities. No one received more or less than they could handle. If he failed in his assignment they could not claim they had failed because of being overwhelmed. Failure could only come from laziness or hatred to his father. The talents represents any type of resources we are given. We are responsible to use what God has given us. The issue isn't how much we are given, but how well we use what we have.

In verse 19 it says "after a long time He shall return". The verse doesn't say a specific time frame. We should live like He is returning tomorrow, we are to use our time, talents, & treasures diligently in order to serve God in whatever we do.

When the master returned the 1st 2 servants showed they had taken the money (talents) they were given & had invested it well. Verse 21 says "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'

If you notice the master rewards each of the 1st 2 servants equally. What matters isn't how much you are given, what counts is what you do with the talent God gave us.

The 3rd servant had a talent, but instead of using his talent for his master he buried it. The 3rd servant was only thinking of himself. He even admitted that he knew his master, "harvested where you have not sown & gather where you did not plant." What, "harvested where you have not sown & gather where you did not plant." means is that Jesus expects us to use the talents He has given us to spread His word.

The last servant was judged because of his self centeredness. We as God's children must not make excuses to avoid doing what God calls us to do. I believe God is truly my master & I must obey Him willingly. My time, money, & abilities are not mine in the 1st pace, they are His! I am a caretaker of my talents, not an owner.

This parable describes the consequences of the attitude of Christ's return. The person who diligently prepares for it by investing his or her talent to serve God will be rewarded. The person who has no heart for the work of the kingdom will be punished. God rewards faithfulness. Those who bear no fruit for Gods kingdom cannot expect to be treated the same as those who are faithful.

My pastor said each & everyone of us are given a talent. It is our responsibility to figure out how God has specifically gifted each of us.

I believe I have a passion for triathlon. When I started training for triathlon I was VERY out of shape & over weight. My only goal was to finish a triathlon. not even to finish with a half way decent time, just to be able to finish. After I finished my first triathlon I became addicted & now I train obsessively. Each season I've become a little faster, & with each improvement I made I became more passionate. As I gained speed & finished faster each year another unexpected thing happened. More people started to come up to me & asked how I was improving so much.

When people ask me how I have become faster or how did I do in the race, that is my opportunity to use the talent & passion God gave me! When people ask me how I became faster I will glorify God! I will say,"God spoiled me today. He deserves all the Glory!". On top of mentioning God any opportunity I get I am going to buy a Christian triathlon bib to race in, I'm going to put something on my bike that says I race for Christ, & I am going to use this blog to glorify God & all the things he does to help me in all things triathlon.

Perhaps God may decide to germinate some of the seeds I am spreading in His name, for in Matthew's it says:

And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

And in Mark 16:15 it says: And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

The word "Go" is a verb. These two scriptures are known as the Great Commission, and if I can't get motivated from the words of Jesus...........

No comments: