August 10, 2011

new body weight new nutrition needs

For years my bodies nutritional needs were around 300-350 calories per hour on my long bike or run days. If it was a cold day I'd use 400-450 calories per hour.

This year I've felt bloated on my long days so I tried adjusting how many calories I consume during training. After a few weeks of experimenting I've found that I only need 200-250 calories per hour. I believe my nutrition needs has changed because I'm training at a much lower body weight than the last time I trained for an Ironman. 50 pounds lighter actually. Since I weigh less it makes sense that I use & need less calories during exercise. Now that I feel better on my long days I'm able to bike & run longer at a higher quality. I never stop learning when triathlon training!

No comments: