August 31, 2011

post race/ post taper

The day after Oak Flats Road Race I was crazy sore! I hadn't been that sore since I completed my 1st Half Iron in 2005. The race helped me realize that the weak point of my bodies fitness is my glutes & lower back. I've read that is a common issue with triathletes. My glutes had muscle failure so badly they gave out on the last 12 mile loop. They fatigued so badly that when I stood to sprint my legs colapsed & almost crashed. Yesterday I started a strength training regimen that targets the glutes & lower back.

I'm so glad I tapered for this race. Not only did I do better at Oak Flats RR since I tapered, but I was really excited to start training again.

My next race is the Elephantman half Iron Sept 25th! The Elephantman will be my tune up race for Ironman Arizona.

No comments: