April 29, 2012

Atomic Man duathlon 2012

I competed in the 2012 Atomic Man duathlon today. This was my 80th multisport race, and my 19th duathlon since 2004.

I pulled my quad last week at the Spring Fling triathlon and hadn't been able to train all week. I decided to approach the Atomic Man as a light workout to test my leg. I decided to jog/walk the runs and bike very light.

On the 1st half of the 1st run I felt a little pinch where the injury was, but nothing bad enough to worry me.  I finished the 2.25 mile run in a safe and leg protecting time of 22:22.

I was worried about my quad on the bike because this course has some big climbs. I wasn't sure if my leg was ready to attempt climbing like that yet. Thankfully I completed the entire bike without any pain at all. I finished the 8.13 mile bike 33:28.

On the 2nd run my leg felt great. I picked up the pace to a high zone two and never felt any pulls or
pinches from my leg at all. The 2nd run was 2.42 miles  in 21:03.

I finished in a total time of 1:19, taking third place out of 3 in my age group and 27th overall 40out of.

I have completed 4 races in the 2012 South West Challenge series, one 1st place, two 2nd place finishes, and one third. I have a total of 36 points and am in 1st place overall in the 35-39 AG.

Looks like I'll start training again this week. I plan on cutting all my rides and runs in half this week. If my leg feels better after this weeks long days on Friday and Saturday then I'll try and train my full schedule the week after.

No comments: