November 06, 2007

some pics, & examples of why I need to lose weight, a patriotic u tube, & the Silverman

Here I was at 285 shortly after I married my dream woman. Feb 03 I actually got to 300 lbs!
275lbs w/ my best buddy & his baby girl @ my wife & my wedding. Can someone say "pass me the cake!"
And she's the biggest reason I really want to stay thin. My gorgous wife! I don't want us to be like Beauty & the Shreck anymore.
The picture above is back when I was 220lbs (28 lbs ago) & where I'd like to be again by the March 08 Stealth duathlon.




First thing first. My Dad sent me a U tube. I thought it was worth sharing. Very patriotic.
www.youtube.com/v/QZFkZiwMLZ4 There aren't enough patriots anymore.

Well I'm ready for my Ironman. I really wish it were time. I've never felt the taper blues as badly as I am now. Pretty fierce! If my taper blues has anything to do with how well I'll do at the Silverman, than I'll smoke that course! I'm pretty exited about a little something. I just found out there are only 4 people in my division. that's a %75 chance of placing top 3 in my first Ironman ever!!! I couldn't even imagine how cool it would be to take top 3 in the hardest Iron in the World!!!!

I'm really exited about Nov 13th. that's the day I am going to start weight watchers online for men. S. Baboo has had some pretty great results. I've always been able to crack the whip once I get to a point where I am disgusted with myself. But for whatever reason as soon as I get near to my goal weight I start packing it back on like I'm preparing for hibernation. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but keep my fat clothes in storage just in case.

Sometimes a person can gain muscle & loose fat, so the scale can be deceiving. So that I can keep realistic track of my gains (or losses if my plan is successful) I took measurements of myself today. Yes, I know. Not exactly the measurements of a triathlete. But hey, self loathing seems to be my best motivator. I'm definitely at that disgusted point right now. So I know for a fact I'll be getting great gains for awhile. But can I keep it off? That's going to be the BIG question.

Weight 248lbs Or 112.5 Kg for my metric buddy Sub 6.

Quads 31.5 inches/ 80.1 cm

Hips or butt, whatever I should call that measurement. 49.5 inches/ 125.73 cm, yup, I got some junk in the trunk. Baby's got back.

stomach 46.5 inches/ 118.11cm. Oh gosh, you have got to be kidding me.

Chest 43.75 inches/ 111.1cm. Not upset about that one!

Arms 16.75 inches/ 42.5 cm. If I could walk around showing off ONLY my chest & arms my self esteem would be great.

I figure I'll post my results every week. Stay tuned for my great success story!
On a non-triathlon subjuect, I do find my wife irresistible. I can't help it. But my wife told me last night she thinks she needs to take a pregnancy test. My son is only 2.5 months old. Oh Lord, what have I done?

8 comments:

skoshi said...

Love reading your enthusiasm for everything that you do.

Just a thought about "packing it on" when you get close to your goal weight--each of us has a "set point"--a certain weight that our body gravitates towards. It takes time to re-set this "set point", and this might be what you're experiencing when you start gaining after you lose. I've experienced this over and over again, and have learned not to blame myself as a failure when this happens--just to kind of pick myself up, re-focus on my goals, and continue to move forward.

I know, I know...you probably think of me as a toothpick--but I have a certain amount of heft for my size, and heft as been an issue most of my life :)

Best of luck on reaching your goals this year!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

"I got some junk in the trunk."
Oh, Gosh, that's the funniest thing I think I've read from a man in quite a while!

We've both had great success with WW. I wish you the best of luck!

S. Baboo said...

Good idea to take measurements since the weight does tend to stall.

Naomi makes a very important point, your body does try to maintain a static weight even if that means you are overweight. It's main concern is to prevent you from starving. When you diet it is like you are caught in times of bad crops when all the animals have run off somewhere else and your body thinks you are starving so it works hard to conserve fat. You basically have to trick it into letting go of fat by losing just a little at a time and staying healthy and active. If you can do this long enough your body will allow that set point Naomi mentioned to re-set to a lower weight. You are likely to plateau there again for a bit but if you keep convincing your body that you are not starving then it will keep letting you lose weight. The key, a diet with variety, slow and steady weight loss, maintain good health, keep up the excercise.

It's almost GO TIME!

Chris said...

Best of luck at Silverman!

Spandex King said...

Good luck at Silverman. I heard it's a beast!!

Spandex King said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

Good luck at Silverman. How cool would that be to go top three! :)

Good luck with the weight loss stuff. Aren't you a bit tempted to stay just above the 200 to race as a Clydesdale? I think if it was a division in NZ I would be tempted :)

Funny about the metric conversion (thanks for mentioning my blog!) because I am from the UK where its stones and pounds and then I came to NZ where its kgs and then I found blogland where its all just lbs. I don't know where I am. I have my scales set to lbs now because the online diet challenge thingys that I'm in are all in lbs.

Keep up the good work with the blogging/weight loss/taper/racing and get the race report out a.s.a.p. Can't wait to find out how you get on :)

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

so glad you posted your stats - it's good to stay honest with yourself.

I gained quite a bit of weight having my babies, and I have since lost it. my advice on weight loss is simple: whatever you think it will take to lose the weight, it will take about 100% more.

so don't get frustrated.