November 14, 2007

Post DNF thoughts

Well I got pulled from the Silverman bike course @ 3:45pm on mile 89. If I'd of been allowed to continue riding to the bike finish I would of missed the cutoff by 30-45 minutes. I'm not going to offer any excuses. I DNF'd. In my mind I see 2 types of people who deal w/ failure in completely different ways.
1) the types who become sour from failure & quit.
2) The type who use it as a learning tool to better themselves.
I want to be in the 2nd category of people. Failure is NOT what separates those two types of people. How they deal with the failure is. Those walls are placed in front of all of us from time to time. Sometimes it's a little set back, sometimes it's large crushing failure. Those walls are there to separate those who are willing to give up & those who are willing to overcome. I really want to continue to work towards the Iron goal. I'm going to use this DNF as a tool. This is an opportunity for me.

When people pray for bravery God doesn't automatically make them courageous. He puts them in a situation where they can be brave.

When people pray for patience God doesn't automatically make them patient. He puts them in a situation to use patience.

I kept asking God to make me fast for the silverman. I prayed over & over again for him to help me complete the Silverman before the cut off time. The fact is he helps those who help themselves. I went into this Iron 21lbs over my normal race weight & 48 lbs over what I should of been trying an Iron at. I asked for speed & endurance. I knew I needed to lose 57lbs to get fast & have great endurance. I have now been given the wake up call now to accomplish just that. It's up to me weather I will quit or come back stronger...... I will be back again better prepared & lighter.

I weighed in at 256 lbs yesterday (11-13-07). Before Silverman I weighed in at 248. After my DNF I turned to food for comfort like I have a tendency to do. ALLOT of food for ALLOT of needed comfort. 8 lbs worth of comfort in a day in a half. Ouch. When they say what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas they are lying. The weight didn't stay in Vegas.

Yesterday I started my goal of losing weight so that I can become an Ironman, so that i can be healthier, & to be a better husband & father. I joined weight watchers online yesterday. Like I said, I weighed in at 256lbs. My goal is 199lbs. I need to lose 57 lbs in 10 months. I will use this blog as a training log towards my goals of losing 57 lbs & becoming an Ironman.

I also want to thank all of you for your encouragement & support. Your kind thoughts & words hepled lift me up when I had fallen. I may never be able to express how much that meant to me or much you all helped me pick myself up & dust myself off. I promise each of you I will try to pass it on to others in the hopes that I can make them feel as supported and loved as you all made me feel. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart.

7 comments:

Chris said...

Your assessment of your DNF should be very positive. You attempted a VERY grueling race and should be proud for what you accomplished. Do you have room for improvement, and yes it sounds like you do but you have your mind "right" and I know that you will be able to beat it next time.

I can relate to your weight battle and use of food for comfort and stress relief. Hang in there , you can beat it.

God answers our prayers in HIS time and most of the time (in my experience) in a more subtle way than the "WHAM BAM" way we would like. (like while running the last leg of an IM race) :-) I know that you will look back and see how God answered your prayers from Silverman.

God Bless man.........

Spandex King said...

Your not a failure!! Your a winner for attempting a race like this. While it may not have turned out the way you like, your a winner for putting forth all of that effort.
I didn't make it to the line for my Ironman. I, like you, will use this as motivation to reach the end goal. We are winners for taking on the fight.

SWTrigal said...

{{Cody}}

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

BTW, that means a hug from swtrigal. One from me too. I like your attitude, especially the humor, e.g., "When they say what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas they are lying. The weight didn't stay in Vegas." LOL! Good luck at the Redman! I did my first half iron there and I LOVED those people. They put on a great race! I'd like to go back some time and do the full, just not this year. Maybe in 2009.

Dave Wheeler said...

It definitely sounds like you have the right mindset for success! I read a book recently that had some valuable insights into how a "Growth Mindset" helps you overcome setbacks while a "Fixed Mindset" or "inate talent viewpoint" holds you back. There is a review of it on my Toastmasters blog, http://areaa4.blogspot.com/2007/03/where-is-your-mindset.html if you want more info.

Good luck with your winter training and next attempt !

Dave Wheeler
Fellow blogger & clydesdale!
(I also have a Clydesdale blog...http://clydesdale-athlete.blogspot.com)

vatolovato said...

Cody,
Stay determined, stay tough, stay motivated, and keep working toward that goal of becoming and Ironman. You will definitey do it!

I'm rooting for you now.
Michael Lovato

Cheryl said...

Cody, you are an inspiration! I love reading your blog. Sorry the Silverman race didn't turn out the way you would have liked it to. But you have a great attitude, and that will lead you to succeed next time! I tend to be a type 1, so I can learn a lot from you. And good luck reaching your weight goals, too, from a fellow WW member.