May 18, 2011

Transition times & Carb building

I usually have fast transition times in triathlons. This weekend I had one of my best races in regards to transition times. I finished with the fastest T-1 & the 2nd fastest T-2 in the entire race. The guy who finished in 2nd place overall in the race had a bike that was 54 seconds faster than me & a run that was 72 seconds faster than mine, but I only finished 9 seconds behind him. He obviously was a faster athlete, but the transitions times came close to deciding the race.

The weekend of the Jay Benson I had a break through personal best race even though my training had been average at best & I was racing on fatigued legs. I believe the reason I raced so well was because I ate my metabolic rate for the 1st time since January. Since January I'd lost 44 pounds, & although being light is fast in triathlon that kind of weight loss hurts the body. I believe I raced so well because my body was fueled well for the 1st time in months. If racing on a full tank made for that kind of performance I decided I'd see if I could top the tank off even more by carb building at the Dog House sprint triathlon. The day before the Dog House I ate about 750 extra calories in carbs. This is the 1st time 2007 that I'd tried carb building. I've read so many conflicting articles over the years about carb building that I had stopped doing it. I'd decided to try it again & use myself as a guinea pig.

My cardio felt great & was able to push myself harder for longer, but I was having problems with a stitch in my side the entire run. I hadn't had a problem with stomach cramps since the last time I tried carb building which was Ironman Arizona 2007. I think it's a push for me. More cardio ability for the race, but problems with stomach cramps.

1 comment:

Brooks said...

I try to carb load the day before the race and haven't had any problems so far. I think the hardest thing for me is to stop carb loading after the race :)