July 27, 2011

My greatest ride, Sandia Hill climb!!

My cousin Greg came to visit from Lubbock TX. He said while he was here he wanted to climb to Sandia Peak. It's a 30 mile ride with 8'800 feet elevation gained and lost. I'd tried to climb Sandia once back in 2005 when I was training for the Silverman triathlon & it was a COMPLETE disaster. Today I climbed it with no problem at all!!! I felt great the entire ride.

I'd been invited to climb Sandia with friends a few times since 2005 & had always declined the invites. I was afraid to try that ride again. I've been afraid because of what a poor climber I knew I was. I realized I'm not the same caliber of an athlete as I was back in '05. My greatest fears as an endurance athlete was climbing, the Silverman triathlon, & the BSLT 70.3. I now realize I can do those feats! Those fears were based of a mental block that came from how I did when I 1st got into triathlon. But I now weigh 50 pounds less, I'm lighter, I'm stronger, I am smarter with my diet, & I train harder & more intelligently. I can do those things now. As a matter of a fact I can do GREAT at things like that now!

What's changed between that 5 year period that I struggled with my weight, my training, racing compared to what I can do now? I've turned more to God. In Him all things are possible. Philippians 4:13)
. He's blessing me because I've embraced Him.

No comments: