May 08, 2012

change of race plans

Thanks to my wife who has been willing to make some adjustments to her schedule I've been able to get in all the training I need for my Iron distance triathlon. Unfortunately I've had no time for anything other than Iron training. To be able to fit in all my training on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturday's I only get 3 hours of sleep which I'm ok with. But in a few weeks my training will get so time consuming it'll start to infringe with the special one on one time I spend with my kids. I'm not ok with that at all. So starting today I'm no longer planning on training for the Redman Iron distance triathlon this September. Instead I'll be training for some late season sprint distance triathlons. On one hand I'm glad because I love training and racing for sprints and I hate training for Irons. But one of my life goals was to go sub 13 hours at an Iron. All my training thus far showed I was going to break 13 hours easily. Now that goal will have to wait. Since my wife will be entering nursing school this fall I wont have the opportunity to start training for another Iron until late 2015. Oh well, such is life.

My diet fell apart this Saturday and Sunday. My weight is now 197.4. It pisses me off that I struggle so badly with the eating aspect of triathlon. The mad scientist Pete Alfino (my former triathlon coach) told me training for sprint distance triathlons would help keep my metabolism higher than Iron training does and would help keep my weight down, so there's another great reason switching to sprint distance triathlons is a good thing.

Yesterday I attacked some hills on the bike. It felt great. I love hill workouts, lactate threshold intervals, & power intervals! Sprint training is going to be great fun! I'm looking forward to this!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog and I am enjoying it. I have some of the same issues you are facing.

Sprint training (versus IM) is only going to make a difference in controlling your weight if you are able to stop bingeing. It's true what they say, you can't out train a bad diet.

One binge will dwarf any metabolic benefits of sprint training. I suspect you already know this, but wanted to emphasize it.

Enjoy the sprint training, those races are a blast, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

Hi Cody-
I was thinking a lot about binging and lack of sleep, and how the two can be connected. Just want you to know that I'm here as a friend for you regarding this issue. I've struggled as well.

I thought this article was interesting and informative. Hope the link works!

www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/lose-weight-while-sleeping

overnight prints said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.