June 17, 2011

I'm thrifty, not cheap

I wear cotton shorts or sweat pants & a t-shirt to ride & run in. Why don't I wear cycling & running shorts like all the other triathletes do? Money, that's why. Even a cheap pair of cycling shorts on clearance from an online store like Performance bikes cost at least $20 plus shipping & handling. In the late fall I can buy a pair shorts from Wal-Mart or K-mart on clearance for $2. I'll buy a dozen pair of cotton shorts for less than a pair of cycling shorts & I'll run & bike in nothing but those 12 shorts & my free race t-shirts all year. I get free T-shirts from every race I do. I compete in 14-18 races every year. So I have virtually an unlimited supply of shirts. I couldn't train enough to wear out all the shirts I get from races every year. A cycling shirt, or cycling jersey can cost from $25-$100.

I only spend $24 for a years worth of running & cycling clothes. Most cyclists and triathletes won't even blink at spending over a hundred dollars on a single cycling bib. I don't spend that much money in 4 years worth of training clothes. Some of my cycling buddies say I look like an idiot riding on a nice bike in cotton shorts & a T-shirt. I'm sure I do, but I like to say i look intelligent Lets compromise & say it's thrifty... Ok, maybe I'm a little cheap;-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If your cycling jackets is usually too limited, it will irritate sensitive skin zones and and cause you to be itch while riding.