June 11, 2011

A run through a herd with a knot and a drive-thru

This morning I had another wonderful run. Not only has this been a great family vacation, it has turned out to be an amazing destination training camp too!

Each day I've been on vacation here in West Texas I've done nothing less than 4 hour long bikes or 85 minute long runs. This morning I ran from 62nd street & Louisville to 4th street & Texas Tech Parkway, then back. I ran through a big field just North of Covenant hospital & I felt like something a person would experience in a movie about a persons dream vacation. The kind of scene where a person is swimming in the Pacific ocean with swarms of tropical fish, or running with herds of horses through the rolling plains of the mid west - only instead of the tropics of Hawaii, or the plains of the mid west, this scene is in West Texas, so there were no tropical fish or wild horses, instead I stirred up a huge group of fifteen frolicking jack rabbits! I know it doesn't sound all that impressive, but it was actually pretty cool. There were 15 jack rabbits & they ran around me & dashed madly in front of me for a while.

Before I started my run I hit my head on a cabinet door that I'd left open. The knot on the side of my head swelled up so much that my glasses weren't fitting on my head properly. As I was running and sweating my glasses kept sliding & falling off my face. Good times.

My only complaint I have of Lubbock is how many food temptations there are here. A couple days ago at the tail end of a ten mile run I ran down wind of a Krispy Kreme & a wienerschnitzel! Uhg. Pure torture! Today I had to run by a Cinnabun.....twice! OH FAST FOOD CHAINS HOW YOU TORMENT ME! U'm a full bodied athlete competing in a thin mans sport. Don't you know I want to be told, "Cody you look triathlon thin!", NOT, "how does a big guy run so fast?"!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Just found your blog. I love the competitor's creed, I had never read it before. Enjoy the rest of your vacation, it sounds wonderful.