September 12, 2011

Ironman Arizona 2011 training stopped by bike crash

I'm now 10 weeks out from Ironman Arizona 2011. I've been training hard for the last 5 months & I've lost a total of 53 pounds since Dec in preparation for IMAZ.On Friday while on a training ride I was hit by a limousine and my dreams of another Ironman was ended. Witnesses of the collision claim I was knocked unconscious for 5-15 minutes. One of my front teeth was broken in half, now my teeth don't bite down properly. I couldn't move my jaw, thankfully it's not broken, just sprained. My knee is swelled up the size of a grapefruit and I have road rash just about everywhere. I have 2 gashes on my chin that needed stitches. I got a concussion. I have an amazing set of bruises on my quads where my bike hit the limo, I flew off my bike & my thighs hit the handle bars when I shot over my bike & the vehicle.

Since the accident occurred I've been having a lot of problems caused by the head trauma. Thankfully the emergency room Doctor warned me of some of the effects of having a concussion, so my family & I were somewhat prepared. Even knowing ahead of time that these issues may occur it's still been a struggle dealing with them. I've been having head aches. I'm having trouble following conversations, I'm getting confused a lot, forgetting things, & losing things. I'm dizzy occasionally, especially when I try to stand up after having been sitting or laying down. My fine motor skills aren't working very well, when I go to reach for things I end up knocking them over, when I'm holding or carrying things I end up dropping them for no reason. I'm not speaking clearly, I'm not sure if it's because of my tooth having been knocked out, my teeth having been hit and shifted in my mouth, or if it's because of my concussion. I've been grouchy and am getting my feelings hurt easily. Last night I got really upset at my wife & we argued which is very unusual for her and I, but today I can't remember what I was so upset about. The most shocking thing has been me getting depressed. Anyone who knows me knows I'm almost always upbeat & optimistic. Today I was horribly blue, I felt like it would have helped my mood if I drove to the pool and watched my masters swim club train, before I realized something was wrong I had driven to the wrong side of town. That got upset and a little freaked out so I just drove home and crawled into bed. I didn't get up again until tonight when dinner was ready. My $7,000 bike is a complete and total loss, perhaps me having lost my bike explains my depression.... triathlon bike separation anxiety. ;-) LOL.

My 4 year old son has been a wreck since he found out I'd been in an accident. He wont let me out of his sight, he's had constant diarrhea and isn't sleeping well unless he's laying with me.




One thing for sure, with how hard the limo hit me the only reason I'm still alive is because of the grace of God. Apparently He still has need of me here on earth. I'm grateful and humbled by Him keeping me safe. Since I wont be able to train again until I've healed up and am able to replace my bike; and I seriously doubt that it'll be in time for IMAZ, my season is over. Because of time constraints and conflicting schedules IMAZ 2011 was my last Ironman until my wife graduates from nursing school in 2015, it's depressing knowing I'll be a DNS (Did Not Show on race day). I'm grateful I didn't die or sustain any triathlon ending injuries & I'll be able to train again. I plan on coming back stronger than ever.



4 comments:

mediumtriguy said...

Cody, I am so sorry for your accident. I hope you recover well, both physically and mentally. I cannot imagine what you're going through, but I know you'll make it.

Anonymous said...

Cody!

We had no idea. I've been bad about following your blogs lately. In case none of your docs have told you and Cindy, study up on TBI-Traumatic Brain Injury. I'm not medical, but we know enough people who have it to know symptoms. We love you, Cody!

Auntie

Jenny Davidson said...

I'm so sorry, Cody - I know the disappointment of not starting at a race one really cares about, and how hard it is to take recovery slowly. I hope you feel better soon. You might enjoy this link: http://blog.avantgame.com/2009/09/super-better-or-how-to-turn-recovery.html

Anonymous said...

Cody,

I have been following your blog for a few weeks now. Thank you for the motivation and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Father God, give Cody and his family the strength and patience needed for a quick and full recovery. Amen.

Wishing you the best,

Roger