February 21, 2011

2011 Presidents Day duathlon race report

The Presidents Day duathlon this year was bitter sweet. I started out hitting my bike on the top of a Chik-Fil-A drive through. Then the ferocious winds of Las Cruces ripped my bike off the roof rack. Race morning my rear tire wouldn't inflate. Somehow it all panned out & I was able to race afterall.

I knew I was going to have a slow race. Turns out it was my slowest race performance in 5 years. I averaged 8:13 miles for the 5K run which was on a dirt road. I averaged 19.9 miles per hour on the bike which was just shy of 18 miles long.

I placed 3rd in my age group, finishing 3 minutes 13 seconds behind the 2nd place 35-39 AG finisher, & a full 3 minutes 23 seconds behind the winner of the 35-39.

This was my 1st race of the 2011 South West Challenge Series. A 3rd place finish at the Presidents day du gives me 8 points for the season so far. I need to pack on a lot more speed if I'm going to defend my 35-39 SW Challenge Series championship or if I'm going to go sub 13 hours at Ironman Arizona in November.

No comments: