October 15, 2011

Hydrostatic Body Fat Testing (Hydro-Densitometry) at UNM

I got my boy fat tested at the UNM physiology department using the Hydrostatic Body Fat Testing method (Hydro-Densitometry). I decided to get Hydrostatic Testing done because I haven't been able to train due a limousine/bicycle crash in September. Now that I haven't done any swimming, biking, or running in over a month I'm worried I've lost muscle and become fatter; My 2nd greatest fear is I become one of those skinny fat people. My greatest fear is I get fat, REALLY FAT! As you can tell from my Hydrostatic Body Fat Testing results listed below my body weight fluctuates a lot! I struggle with my weight, I have a slow metabolism, and I love food.... not a good combination. The good Lord Jesus Christ blessed me with an obsession with training for triathlons, otherwise I'd be 500 pounds and unable to get out of my bedroom door! All glory be to God! Here are my previous results:


Oct 2011: 181 pounds @ 6.86% body fat. 169.3 pounds lean mass. 12.5 pounds fat.

June 2011: 188.4 pounds @ 10.9%. 169.4 pounds lean mass. 19 pounds fat.

Nov 2010: 222.2 pounds at 19.01% body fat. 180 pounds lean mass. 42.2 pounds fat.

July 2010: 189 pounds at 9.81% body fat. 170.6 pounds lean mass. 18.5 pounds fat.

Jan 2010: 207 at 18.4% body fat. 169.2 pounds lean mass. 38.5 pounds fat.

July 1999: 204 at 13.1% body fat. 188.43 pounds lean mass. 15.57 pounds fat.

I was told that there could be some problems with my heath, training, and racing if I get my body fat below 5%. So I've decided in late Nov I'm going to try and get my weight down to 179, which would put me just below 6% body fat.


For those who don't know about Hydrostatic Testing I posted a description about it below:

Hydrostatic Testing(Underwater Weighing) has become universally regarded by industry experts as the "Gold Standard" in body fat testing. Renowned author and fitness expert Covert Bailey, in the phenomenal best seller "Fit or Fat", states: "That hydrostatic testing (underwater immersion) is the most accurate method for body fat determination."

The hydrostatic method uses a two component model which separates the body in two distinct pieces:

1) Bone, muscle, and connective tissue collectively known as lean mass sinks (More Dense than Water).
2)Body Fat-floats (Less Dense than Water).

By obtaining your land weight and water weight (based on buoyancy) the UNM physiology department can scientifically calculate your body fat as a percentage of your total weight. The ordinary land scale cannot tell you if weight loss is muscle or fat, while getting dunked can tell you to the ounce of what took place with you body during your weight loss or gain regiment.

Clinically speaking, the hydrostatic testing method has been around for over 50 years and is based on Archimedes principle which states "that when a body is submerged in water, there is a buoyant counter force equal to the weight of the water which is displaced". Again, because bone and muscle are denser than water, a person with a larger percentage of lean body mass will weigh more in the water and ultimately have a lower body fat percentage versus someone with less lean muscle mass. A person with more body fat will be lighter in water because body fat floats and lean tissue, muscle, connective tissue, bones, etc. sink.

Hydrostatic Body Fat Testing (Hydro-Densitometry): According to research, "Hydrostatic Body Fat Testing "is still the "Gold Standard" to which all methods of body fat testing still compare themselves.




What I felt like today!


What it was actually like.

No comments: