June 24, 2012

running on a broken toe & Saffron Extract Satiereal

I'd been cycling with my seat at the same height for years. Recently I've started having some pain at the tops of my knees, that's a sign of my seat being to low. I think the seat height got pushed down when I got ran over by a vehicle last September. I raised the seat height up on Saturday, not only did I feel more comfortable, but I was faster and didn't get fatigued as quickly.

On Saturday I completed my 1st workout since I got sick and broke my toe last week. By the middle of the one hour bike workout my foot had swelled up to the point where my foot was too big to fit in my cycling shoe. Even though my foot had swelled during the ride I felt no pain so I decided after the bike ride to go for a quick run to see how my toe/ foot held up. I felt ok at first, but the pain would start to build up and I'd have to walk after a couple minutes. I kept the run/walk up for about 20 minutes. After the run my toe was hurting quite a bit and my foot had swelled up to the point that it was difficult to get my shoe off. The Dr had said working out would cause me pain but that it probably wouldn't cause any more damage as long as I did it in moderation. Moderation is a difficult thing for a triathlete to interpret. A triathlete who works out in moderation works out much more than the average Joe. So is that moderation for an average person or me? I figure I'll just start out slow and watch how my foot holds up.

Most of the swelling in my foot has gone down, so on Monday I'll try cycling again. If my foot is ok after Monday's bike ride then I'll try running again on Tuesday.

I've been struggling with my weight a lot recently. I've gained 25 pounds since April, and I'm hoping to get back down to around 180 pounds by August. To help accomplish my goal I've been taking Saffron Extract Satiereal, which is an appetite suppressant. It hasn't been very successful for me, it's a miracle in regards to suppressing hunger, but it doesn't do anything to stop the behavioral aspect of eating which is what I struggle with. It doesn't stop social eating, eating because of boredom, or celebration. I'm currently weighing 198 pounds, I want to lose 18 pounds in 5 1/2 weeks which is a 3 1/4 pounds a week. That kind of weight lose is a little too fast to be healthy for a triathlete in the middle of a hard training season, it would of been much better to have never gained the weight to begin with.

I'm hoping my foot has healed enough to race again by August. I'll keep you updated on my weight lose struggles and when I feel up to racing again.

Thanks for tuning in.

No comments: